Tax credits

You or your spouse/partner may qualify for tax credits if you have a child aged 16 or under, a child up to their 19th birthday if they are still in full time education, or registered with the Careers Service or Connexions Services, or serving a custodial sentence of 4 months or less.

If they are claiming Income Support or tax credits in their own right, they will not qualify.  If you are a higher rate tax payer you will not qualify.  So it’s important to find out what type of support or benefit to which you may be entitled.